weight gain after quitting smoking. Is It True?
Smoking is such an addiction that it has a direct effect on physical and mental well-being. It is also very difficult for smokers to quit smoking. And there is a relationship between weight gain after quitting smoking.
Many side effects can occur in people who try to quit smoking. Weight gain is one of them. However, this does not mean that you will continue to smoke. Smoking can lead to many health problems like cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung disease, and diabetes.
Reasons for weight gain after quitting smoking
A study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence found that our brains are actually responsible for weight gain when we quit smoking. And the withdrawal of nicotine increases our appetite for unhealthy and processed foods. In addition, cigarettes reduce appetite. So when you quit smoking, you may feel hungry and eat more than usual. These factors are responsible for weight gain when trying to quit smoking. And another reason for weight gain after quitting smoking is the slow metabolism that occurs in the absence of nicotine.
How to control weight after quitting smoking?
If you are trying to quit smoking, it is best to take some steps to control your weight from the beginning. Tips to keep in mind when trying to lose weight:
- Stay active
- If you want to control your weight, stay physically active. You can exercise regularly for this.
- Exercise boosts your metabolism and helps you burn more calories than usual. Walk for at least 45 minutes every day.
- Eat foods rich in fiber.
- Fiber-rich foods help you keep your stomach full for a long time. As a result, they can prevent you from eating fatty and sugary foods and having unhealthy appetites. So if you want to lose weight, eat colorful vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats.
- Don’t let yourself be too hungry.
- Make a schedule for your meals. Try to eat accordingly. And don’t make your mealtime so long that you feel hungry. This will motivate you to eat more during meals. Eat meals at regular intervals and eat healthy foods.
- Sleep on time.
- When you are trying to lose weight, your sleep schedule is very important. Insomnia or lack of sleep can increase your appetite for unhealthy foods in the morning. Lack of proper sleep can be the reason for your mood swings.
When you give up a habit, it takes time to get used to it. If you gain some weight after quitting smoking, congratulate yourself, because there are so many benefits to quitting smoking. Try to lose weight by following the above steps and enjoy a nicotine-free life.